Chitwan, Nepal: Most Maoist-PLA fighters reject integration into Nepal Army

from Nepal Today by Bhola Rana

1587 MAOIST FIGHTERS OPT FOR RETIREMENT IN CHITWAN
Kathmandu, 16 April: Regrouping of the Maoist former combatants has concluded at the People’s Liberation Army (PLA)’s Third Division camp at Shaktikhor in
Chitwan today [Monday], RSS reports.

The regrouping work at this Division had commenced on April 8.

One thousand five hundred and eighty-seven Maoist former combatants at this camp have opted for voluntary retirement.

The Maoist former combatants who had earlier opted for integration into the Nepal Army were once again given a choice between integration and voluntary retirement.

All the Maoist former combatants who chose voluntary retirement have been handed over cheques, said Balananda Sharma, coordinator of the Special Secretariat survey team.

There were altogether 2,414 combatants lodged at the Third Division camp at Shaktikhor. Although a majority of the combatants at this Division had shown interest in integration before this, most of them have now chosen voluntary retirement over integration.

Sharma said the regrouping work will conclude by today. Combatants opting for voluntary retirement will be provided with cheques in the range of Rs. 500,000 to Rs. 800,000 depending on their rank.

Nepal: Prachanda, Bhattarai, and the end of the People’s Liberation Army

[With the orders by Bhattarai and Prachanda for the Nepalese Army to move in, and seize all 15 PLA cantonments and all the containers of PLA arms, the formal end of the PLA has arrived.  Will this mark the end of Part One of the PLA–with Part Two yet to come in a reconstituted form–or will other forms of the people’s struggle and revolutionary war be found in coming months–is yet to be seen.  This bourgeois Indian account of the PLA’s endgame tells only one side of the story.  —  Frontlines ed.]

—————————–

by Yubaraj Ghimire, Indian Express, Saturday, April 14 2012

With Maoist troops gone, Prachanda and Bhattarai lose bargaining power

Maoists have either resisted the demand or backed out of the promise to have their private army dismantled and to hand over their arms to the state. But on April 10, things moved at an unexpected speed in Nepal. Prime Minister Baburam Bhattarai told the high-powered Army Integration Special Committee that the Nepal army was going to move into all 15 Maoist cantonments, take control and seize the the weapon containers lying there.

Fifteen teams of the technical committee of the AISC had spread out to these camps in order to have over 9,000 combatants vacate them by the evening of April 12. A maximum of 6,500 were to be given the option to join the Nepal army, provided they fulfilled the “relaxed” eligibility criteria. The rest were to be given the option of going into “voluntary retirement”. The army was to take control of the empty camps after that.

Lieutenant General (retd) Balananda Sharma, who heads the AISC’s technical cell, informed Bhattarai from the main cantonment at Shaktikhor that the prevailing tensions, and the intermittent clashes between rival groups of combatants, might take an ugly turn and imperil the rehabilitation and integration process. Almost confirming Sharma’s fears, seven divisional commanders of the Peoples Liberation Army (PLA) issued an unusual warning to Prachanda, chief of the Unified Communist Party of Nepal-Maoists (UCPN-M), in Kathmandu on the same day: “neither you nor we are safe .” Prachanda did not take the warning lightly, and advised “Comrade Prime Minister” to rush in the Nepal Army. Reports from Shaktikhor suggested that combatants loyal to the party’s Senior Vice-Chairman Mohan Baidhya Kiran and opposed to the integration process had tried to snatch the weapon containers. Continue reading

Nepal: Sharpening Ideological, Political, and physical conflict between Maost Factions

Nepal Toda, Tuesday, April 10, 2012

MORE DETAILS OF PROTESTS

Kathmandu, 11 April: The Baidhya faction said they will burn effigies of Chairman Prachanda and Prime Minister Baburam Bhattarai, who is also party vice-chairman.
Besides ideological supporters of Baidhya group supported by11 other communist parties in a front, dissidents are supported by some elements on the paramilitary wing YCL, fighters who went on voluntary retirement and fighters who were disqualified by UNMIN, a political agency of UN before quitting id-January2011 before completion of peace and constitution.

OVERVIEW OF TUESDAY’S DEVELOPMENTS
Kathmandu, 11 April: Maoist fighters’ regrouping process was halted today as well at different PLA cantonments across the country due to insecurity following clashes between the fighters, The Himalayan Times reports from Damak and Chitwan.

A clash had flared up for almost four hours at Ilam’s Chulachuli-based PLA First Division on Monday night. After the incident, commander Yam Bahadur Adhikary, Hari Kumar Shrestha and Sangram left the First Division this morning. Continue reading

Nepal: As leaders abandon revolutionary path, “disqualified” and disarmed veteran fighters prepare a new wave of struggle

Disqualified PLAs to enforce bandh

by TIKA R PRADHAN, Himalayan Times, 2012-02-21

KATHMANDU: A day after a section of the Young Communist League, youth wing of the UCPN-Maoist, announced that they would stage a sit-in at the party chairman Pushpa Kamal Dahal’s residence and the party headquarters, the struggle committee of the disqualified Maoist fighters today called an indefinite Nepal Bandh from March 4.

“Since both the party and the government paid no heed to our demands, we have no other way but to resort to indefinite Nepal Bandh,” said Krishna Prasad Dangal, coordinator of the struggle committee of the Former Disqualified People’s Liberation Army Nepal. “We will announce the struggle plan amid a press conference at Jana Sanchar Abhiyan tomorrow.”

Dangal informed that regional struggle committees would also organise press conferences and stage torch rallies before enforcing the bandh. Continue reading

Nepal: Disqualified combatants disrupt retirement process in Surkhet

 

[Frontlines editorial comment:   A noted Black writer/poet in the US, Langston Hughes, once penned these lines on the frustrations of the denied and delayed.  It is appropriate to the events in Nepal today. 

“What happens to a dream deferred?
Does it dry up
like a raisin in the sun?
Or fester like a sore–
And then run?
Does it stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over–
like a syrupy sweet?

Maybe it just sags
like a heavy load.

Or does it explode?”


Langston Hughes,
The Collected Poems]

REPUBLICA

KATHMANDU, Feb 5: A group of 70 former disqualified Maoist combatants on Sunday disrupted the ongoing voluntary retirement process in the Surkhet-based Maoist cantonment by vandalizing a makeshift office used by officials from the secretariat for the Special Committee.

According to Dipak Prakash Bhatt, who is also a secretariat member, the disqualified combatants pushed their way into the cantonment at around 3:30 pm and tore apart the four tents of the makeshift office, vandalized three laptops, tables and chairs before they were taken under control by verified combatants in the cantonment. Continue reading

Nepal: PLA commander demands high position in national army or “army integration” will not go forward

PLA demands post of Major General for integration

Print
Sunday, 08 January 2012

The spokesperson of the People’s Liberation Army (PLA) of the UCPN (Maoist) Chandra Prakash Khanal has said that the integration process will not move ahead until the PLA commander gets the post of Major General in the NA while integrating the combatants.

Chandra Prakash Khanal (File photo)

Speaking at a programme in Kathmandu on Sunday, Khanal said that the PLA will not go ahead for the integration until the political parties agree to integrate the top commander of the PLA as the Major General of the NA.

Integration based on the personal qualification is not acceptable for us. We want respectful integration,” he added.

He also said that if the combatants opting for integration are not integrated due to the limit of the agreed numbers, they should be provided compensation package.

“Until the gap between the numbers agreed upon and the numbers opting for integration is not addressed, we will not discharge the combatants who have chosen for voluntary retirement,’ he warned. nepalnews.com

[Chandra Prakash Khanal (File photo)]

Nepal: Disqualified combatants enforce shutdown mid-western districts

[Having turned their backs on the legacy of the People’s War, conducted by the People’s Liberation Army from 1996-2006, the Nepal government and the revisionist top leadership of the UCPN(M) callously dismissed many of the revolutionary fighters and “re-assigned” others.  But these fighters, who have dedicated their lives to the liberation of Nepali people, remain focused on the need to complete the discarded and incomplete revolutionary struggle. So the struggle continues, quietly and boldly, in many forms and places. — Frontlines ed.]

Friday, 30 December 2011

Daily life in large parts of Pyuthan, Banke, Bardiya, Dang, Dailekh and Surkhet districts have been adversely affected since early Friday morning due to a daylong strike called by former Maoist combatants in mid-western region.

The strike was enforced by ex-combatants who were discharged last year from the cantonments after being disqualified in the verification conducted by the United Nations political mission in Nepal.

Reports coming in say that most of the shops, businesses and factories in the affected districts remain closed. Similarly, very few short-route vehicles are seen plying on the road while long-route vehicles have been brought to a grinding halt in the affected districts due to fear of attacks by the bandh enforcers. However, protest organisers demonstrating in major thoroughfares in Nepalgunj, Dang and Surkhet have not been seen disrupting the vehicles.

The disqualified Maoist ex-combatants enforced the shutdown in mid-western region, demanding that the tag of ‘disqualified’ to describe them be removed and financial package comparable to those who have chosen voluntary retirement in the recent regrouping of the combatants.

The combatants in exclusion had enforced a daylong strike in nine districts of far-western Nepal on Thursday to protest against the UCPN (Maoist) and the government categorizing them as ‘disqualified’ and ‘depriving’ them of any benefit or rights.

4008 disqualified combatants were discharged from the cantonment sites. The government had only provided bus fares to them while discharging them. nepalnews.com