Yemeni anti-government protesters shout slogans during a demonstration demanding the departure.
Jun 2, 2011
Sana’a/Cairo – Yemeni security forces opened fire on protesters in the southern city of Taiz calling for President Ali Abdullah Saleh to resign, as fighting continued in the capital Sana’a on Thursday.
Dozens of people have been killed in Taiz this week, as security forces repeatedly used violence to disperse protesters gathered in al-Hurreya square.
In Sana’a, at least 15 people were killed in overnight fighting between security forces and tribesmen loyal to Sheikh Sadeq al-Ahmar. Continue reading →
Protesters clash yesterday with security forces in Daraa, Syria, where activists said 17 civilians were killed on a day that claimed five more lives in two other cities.
By ANDY SOLTIS, April 9, 2011
At least 22 Syrian protesters were killed and dozens wounded when security forces attacked them in three cities in the worst bloodshed since pro-democracy demonstrations began last month, witnesses said.
But President Bashar al-Assad’s news agency claimed “vandals” and “armed groups” sparked the mayhem and listed the victims as 19 security officers killed and 75 wounded in the flashpoint city of Daraa.
Witnesses said security forces opened fire on protesters who had set fire to an office of Assad’s ruling Baath Party and smashed a statue of his brother Basil as they chanted “God, Syria, freedom!”
“My clothes are soaked with blood,” said a man who counted at least 13 corpses as he helped ferry the casualties to a Daraa hospital.
Ammar Qurabi, who heads Syria’s National Organization for Human Rights, said his group had the names of 17 protesters killed in Daraa, plus two more in Homs and three in the Damascus suburb of Harasta. Continue reading →
TAIZ, YEMEN : At least eleven protesters were killed during clashes with security forces in southwestern Yemen, the Yemen Post reported on Monday.
According to medical staff, nine demonstrators were killed on Sunday and two more died on Monday. Protesters clashed with Yemeni law agents in the main street and a square of Taiz city.
Taiz Governor Hamoud al-Soufi denied reports of civilian deaths and said that riot police was deployed to control clashes that he claimed were provoked by infiltrators and some ‘young hotheads’.
Al-Soufi added that they threw stones at the security forces and as a result eight police officers were injured, one seriously. However, local media and witnesses said that the riot police were shooting at unarmed protesters.
On Sunday, hundreds of thousands staged a peaceful demonstration to demanding the resignation of President Ali Abdullah Saleh. The police intercepted the massive demonstration heading to the Taiz government building.
The protesters departed from the main square and police officers used live ammunition and nerve gas against them for hours. On Monday, demonstrations continued in both Taiz and Sana’a.
The demonstrators condemned the deadly crackdown on the anti-Saleh protests in Taiz and other cities. They marched through the streets of Sana’a and gathered in Change Square outside Sana’a University.
In addition, a deadly crackdown between protesters and police officers took place in the western province of Hodeida. Hundreds of people attempted to reach the republican palace but police fired at them, killing at least 8 protesters and wounding many more.
President Saleh blamed the unrest on a foreign agenda and added that some hostile media outlets have exaggerated about the situation in Yemen. He recently fired his government and then designated it as caretaker until a new government is formed.
The decision was announced after 52 protesters were killed by security forces on March 25. Yemeni protesters have been demanding the resignation of Saleh for the past two months. The demonstrations were initially inspired by the Tunisian revolt, but they gathered momentum with the success of Egypt’s revolution.
Demonstrations are taking place in cities throughout the world because the Supreme Court of Justice of the Mexican nation (SCJN) is meeting to decide the future of 12 political prisoners from the small Mexican town of San Salvador Atenco who are currently serving sentences of up to 112 years.
On the 3rd and 4th of May of 2006, in one of the worst cases of police brutality in recent Mexican history, more than 3,500 agents of the Mexican security services attacked the population of San Salvador Atenco. The attack began when the people organised to stop the violent expulsion of flower vendors from a central square in nearby Texcoco, near Mexico City.
During this attack the police and military forces killed two youths, Alexis Benhumea and Francisco Javier Cortes. 207 people were arrested, many of whom were tortured, dozens of homes were invaded without warrants, and hundreds of people were tear-gassed and beaten. Amnesty International has detailed and condemned the horrific systematic rape and sexual assault of 26 women by the police at this time; many of these attacks occurred while the women were being transported to prison.
It is widely believed that irregularities in the legal process denied the prisoners the right to a fair trial. For example, the principle of the presumption of innocence and the guarantees of due process were not respected, and the evidence on which the convictions were founded was illegally obtained. Continue reading →