Indian state and media cast a worried eye on Maoist-led people’s movement

[Despite ongoing claims of imminent demise of Maoist forces, the Indian State remains obsessed over the continuing growth of the people’s movements and People’s War.  Two major newspapers, known for reporting the “official” views, describe their worries in the following articles from the Hindustan Times and ZeeNews.  While the accuracy of their assessments cannot be confirmed, the adage “time will tell” certainly applies.  — Frontlines ed.]
————————————————
Aloke Tikku, Hindustan Times

New Delhi, April 15, 2013

Three-state Red corridor is new Maoist threat

https://i2.wp.com/www.hindustantimes.com/Images/Popup/2013/4/15_04_13-pg-01b.jpgIn bad news for security forces, Maoists have managed to form a Red corridor that gives them easy movement and safe passage through three states – Chhattisgarh, Odisha and Jharkhand.

The term Red corridor has so far been used for the entire naxal-infested region in India that includes the three states as well as parts of Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, West Bengal and Maharashtra.

But recent interrogation of arrested cadre has revealed it now literally means a narrow but contiguous strip that runs from the southern tip of Chhattisgarh to central Jharkhand – the two key theatres of naxal violence.

Such a corridor would be crucial to the Maoist strategy of enabling free and safe movement of its military companies from one battlefield to another.

Government sources told HT that Maoists arrested in recent weeks, including a courier, had confirmed the corridor was now in use.

“A corridor is essentially a question of support structures. In recent times, they have strengthened themselves in Odisha’s heavily-forested Naupada district,” a home ministry official said.

This means Maoists have managed to build a reasonable support base among the local population along the Chhattisgarh-Odisha border, right up to Jharkhand’s Gumla district. Continue reading

Bloomberg News: “Mideast Unrest Spurs Business-Jet Bookings Among Region’s Rich”

April 21, 2011

By Tamara Walid

April 21 (Bloomberg) — Business-jet operators say Middle East demand has jumped as much as six-fold as political unrest prompts companies and wealthy individuals to flee trouble zones.

Abu Dhabi-based charter carrier Al Jaber Aviation has added 500 percent more flights in the past three months versus a year earlier, led by services from Egypt, Tunisia, Bahrain and Yemen, Chief Operating Officer Mark Pierotti said in an interview.

“Egypt saw the biggest increase, with high net worth individuals flying to Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Europe,” Pierotti said. The company operates a mix of five Airbus SAS and Embraer SA aircraft and will add a sixth plane in May to meet demand. Continue reading