Philippine NDF rebels on Moro-Government peace moves, urge armed resistance

Mobilize Moro people for their struggle for self-determination — NDFP

Thursday, 08 November 2012

101227_09_0139

By JORGE MADLOS
Spokesperson, NDFP-Mindanao

The National Democratic Front of the Philippines – Mindanao urges the Moro Resistance Liberation Organization (MRLO), as one of its allied organizations, to be more resolute in its mandate to educate, organize and mobilize vast numbers among the Moro people to advance their struggle for the right to self-determination under the aegis of the national-democratic armed revolution.

While the signing of the Framework on the Bangsamoro may be considered a watershed in the Moro struggle, it cannot be denied that the pact itself is riddled with lopsided provisions that ultimately favor the design of the ruling classes, its reactionary government and US imperialism to fully and finally subdue the Moro people’s long-drawn armed resistance against national oppression and exploitation.

Underneath all the semantics in the pact, the US-Aquino regime has insidiously placed the avarice of local and imperialist monopoly capitalists to rake in superprofit over and above the general economic and socio-political well-being of the long-suffering Moro people.  After the signing, like moths to a fire, several multinational corporations immediately expressed interest to invest on and exploit the vast natural resources, such as arable lands, natural gas and minerals, in areas under the MILF’s control or influence.  In his foreign trips and kowtowing abroad, Aquino also used the MILF-GPH pact as a ticket to invite more investments in the country. Continue reading

Philippines: Rebels warn MILF: “Don’t give up your weapons”

[see the news article, followed by the statement from the National Democratic Front of the Philippines — Mindanao. — Frontlines ed.]

——————————————————————————–

by Germelina Lacorte, Philippine Daily Inquirer Mindanao

 Tuesday, October 30th, 2012

[JORGE MADLOS, spokesperson of the National Democratic Front in Mindanao, in this photo taken December 2003 in his then hideout somewhere in Surigao del Sur AFP]

DAVAO CITY—Two weeks ago,  amid calls for the Communist Party of the Philippines-New People’s Army to return to the negotiating table with the government, Left leader Satur Ocampo had urged President Aquino to “uphold his vow to resume peace talks”  with the insurgent group, just like he did with the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF).

But over the weekend, the communist National Democratic Front of the Philippines (NDFP) warned the Moro group against the government’s  “devious scheming” with regard to the framework agreement it signed early this month.

In a statement e-mailed to the Philippine Daily Inquirer, Jorge Madlos, NDFP spokesperson in Mindanao, warned the MILF against readily giving up its arms, and said that agreeing to decommission its Bangsamoro Islamic Armed Forces (BIAF) would render the group useless in protecting the rights of the Moro people.

“Learning lessons from the    past, the MILF should not easily relinquish its effective military strength on the whim of the reactionary government so that it can continue to defend the interests of the entire Moro people,” said Madlos, also known as Ka Oris. Continue reading

New York Police and Philippine National Police announce joint program “against terror and crime”

[Long ago, Phil Ochs wrote a satirical, anti-imperialist song, “We’re the Cops of the World,” and each day since has confirmed that ugly truth.  New efforts to re-tool Philippine forces to match the operational methods of US imperialist forces are part of similar global restructurings, especially with the previously announced renewed “pivot to Asia.”  See the articles from the Philippine Daily Inquirer,  ABS-CBN News/Phil Star — followed by the statement of the CP of the Philippines, below. — Frontlines ed.]

————————————————————-

NYPD deployed against Occupy movement

By

Sunday, November 4th, 2012

MANILA, Philippines—The Philippine National Police (PNP) and the New York Police Department (NYPD) have joined forces in a memorandum of understanding to fight terrorism and transnational crimes.

PNP Director General Nicanor Bartolome and NYPD’s Lt. Gustavo Rodriguez signed the Memorandum of Understanding in Camp Crame on Oct. 31.

“Mitigating transnational crime and combating terrorism is of utmost importance to the NYPD and we are proud to join forces with an agency that shares the same mission,” Rodriguez told reporters after the signing.

Bartolome said the PNP and NYPD would work together to mitigate transnational crimes “with emphasis on” illegal drugs, terrorism, smuggling, human trafficking, maritime fraud and cybercrime.

Bartolome said the MOU was about the “exchange of information” between the two police forces.

Philippine police deployed against farmers protest

“We have similar problems. It’s not just their problems or ours,” the PNP chief said.

Bartolome said the PNP had signed a similar MOU with the Australian Federal Police.

Rodriguez said the partnership would involve the collection of information on transnational crime and counter-terrorism that would be “disseminated back to New York City.” Continue reading

Internationalist Solidarity: Indian Maoist salute to the memory of Filipino Revolutionary leader “Ka Roger”

COMMUNIST PARTY OF INDIA (MAOIST)CENTRAL COMMITTEE — Press Release September 24, 2011

The son of a rice farmer, Ka Roger, native of Ibaan town in Batangas, was spokesperson of the Communist Party of the Philippines until his death from a heart attack last year, at the age of 63.

CPI (Maoist)’s condolence message to the Central Committee of the CPP on the demise of Gregorio “Ka Roger” Rosal

Dear Comrades,

Our CC felt deep sorrow when we heard the news of passing away of Gregorio “Ka Roger” Rosal, spokesperson and chief of the Information Bureau of your Party, the CPP. On behalf of the Indian revolutionary movement and entire revolutionary masses of India, we send our heartfelt condolences to the CPP, NPA and NDF, all near and dears of the departed veteran of Filipino revolution. We share your grief. The demise of Ka Roger is a great loss to entire Communist revolutionaries of the world.

Veteran Communist leader Comrade Roger greatly contributed to the Filipino revolution ever since he jumped into the revolutionary movement in 1972. Born into a poor peasant family in the countryside, he raised to the level of the spokesperson of the Party. This would inspire every communist across the world. From ‘Great Escape’, he played crucial role in expanding and consolidating the Filipino revolution as well as armed struggle and mass struggles. He strode unwaveringly against all odds faced in his personal and political life. Understanding the significance of the propaganda work in revolution he accrued immense experience in propaganda front striving hard. The way your Party waged a relentless revolutionary propaganda war in defeating the psychological war being carried out by the imperialists and their lackey Benigno Aquino III is simply great. It’s been an immense inspiration to our Party. Despite of severe ill health, as a veteran communist leader Ka Roger had been in touch with propaganda bureau of the CPP furnishing it with his invaluable suggestions till the end and thus he handed over his legacy to his comrades so that the tasks of the revolution could be carried on ceaselessly.

His demise is a huge loss to not only Filipino Revolution, but to the world socialist revolution as well. He displayed enormous competence, patience, straightforwardness, intelligence, patriotism and love for his nation throughout his career as a revolutionary. Thus he presented himself before the world people as a model of how communists would think about the world.

The CC of CPI (Maoist) humbly bows its head in memory of this Great Leader of the World Proletariat Ka Roger and vows to carry the World Proletarian Socialist Revolution forward.

 (Abhay)

Spokesperson,

Central Committee,

CPI (Maoist)

Manila gets second U.S. Coast Guard ship

USCG cutter Dallas

by Staff Writers, UPI
Manila, Philippines, Feb 16, 2012

The Philippines navy soon will receive its second decommissioned U.S. Coast Guard ship amid concern that the move sends the wrong signal to China.

Final U.S. approval for the sale of the USCGC Dallas, a Hamilton class cutter, is under way and the 378 foot-long, 3,250-ton vessel should soon sail for the Philippines.

The Dallas was commissioned in 1967 at the Avondale Shipyard in New Orleans. It carries a crew of 167 and can stay at sea for around 45 days, making it a high-endurance vessel.

Armaments included one OTO Melara MK-75 76mm gun, two MK-38 25mm machine gun systems and two MK 36 SRBOC systems. It also had a Phalanx CIWS missile defense gun, along with other mounted machine guns.

The ship is being sold as an excess defense article through the U.S. Foreign Assistance Act 1961.

But the Communist Party of the Philippines said the sale indicates the United States is preparing the Philippines navy as its de facto fighting force against China as the tensions increase in the South China Sea, a report in the Philippines newspaper Business Mirror said.

“The transfer of another naval cutter from the U.S. government serves the purpose of U.S. military buildup on the South China Sea,” the CPP said in a statement.

“The United States is able to employ the Philippine navy as an augmentation force in the course of its operations to permanently project its military presence and power in the area and secure the trade routes and Asian markets in the interest of U.S. monopoly capitalist companies.”

The CPP also said the acceptance of the Dallas makes the navy a target by enemies of the Philippines. Continue reading

Philippines: Revolutionary Leader “Ka Roger” has passed

In this file photo taken Tuesday, Jan. 6, 2004, rebel spokesman Gregorio Rosal gestures as he talks to journalists during a clandestine news conference in a communist New People's Army encampment in northern Luzon, Philippines. The outlawed Communist Party of the Philippines said Sunday, Oct. 9, 2011, that Gregorio "Comrade Roger" Rosal died in a guerrilla zone on June 22 of a heart attack. He was 64. The popular Philippine communist guerrilla served as the movement's spokesman for years and gave a face to one of Asia's longest-running Marxist insurgencies.

“Ka Roger” dead at 64

By AARON RECUENCO, Manila Bulletin

October 9, 2011

Gregorio “Ka Roger” Rosal, for many years the spokesman for the communist insurgency in the Philippines, is dead, the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) revealed Sunday.

In a statement posted on its website Sunday afternoon, the CPP said Rosal succumbed to a heart attack last June 22 in a guerrilla front in Luzon at the age of 64.

“The entire membership of the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP), Red fighters of the New People’s Army, and the Filipino people are one with his family and friends in mourning his death,” the statement read.

Marco Valbuena, the media liaison of the CPP Information Bureau, said the public announcement was delayed to allow CPP officials to inform Ka Roger’s daughters of their father’s demise.

“Intense military operations prevented information from reaching his daughters with dispatch. Ka Roger’s siblings have also been informed of his passing,” Valbuena said.

The third of the six children of sugarcane planters in Batangas, Rosal got his first taste of militant activism when he joined a small group called Kabataang Gabay ng Bayan, a Batangueño activist group, and later the Kabataang Makabayan.

He became more militant when martial law was declared in 1972. The following year he was arrested and detained in a military camp in Batangas City.

In November 1973, he and nine others bolted jail. It was after his escape that he joined the CPP-New People’s Army and became part of the guerrilla front established in the Laguna-Quezon border along the Sierra Madre mountains–the so-called Larangan ng Kagitingan or Front of Heroism. Continue reading

Philippines: Press reports and Wikileaks cast doubt on peace talks, Sison authority

NDF negotiators meet Norwegian envoy in bid to break impasse

05-Sep-11, 2011 | Agence France-Presse

MANILA, Philippines – Communist rebel negotiators met a special Norwegian envoy on Monday in a fresh bid to reopen stalled peace talks to end a four-decade war with the government, aides said.

The chief negotiator of the National Democratic Front, Luis Jalandoni, met the envoy at the embassy in Manila but details of the talks were not disclosed, the rebels’ secretariat said.

Government negotiator Alexander Padilla told AFP he would meet the Norwegian envoy on Tuesday but he did not know if the rebel negotiators would be at the talks as well.

Norway, which has been brokering the on-and-off talks, sent the envoy, Ture Lundh, to Manila after negotiations stalled over the demand of the NDF that the government free 13 captured comrades it said are consultants of its peace negotiating panel.

The two sides hope to seal a peace accord by June 2012 but the new impasse has soured ties, with the government accusing the NDF of bad faith for kidnapping a town mayor and four jail guards recently.

Meanwhile, recent US embassy cables leaked by the anti-secrecy site WikiLeaks revealed splits within the insurgent leadership, with self-exiled rebel founder Jose Maria Sison losing influence. Continue reading