Arab League condemns broad bombing campaign in Libya

[The Arab League, in long-term alliance with EU/US imperialist powers, actually endorsed and thereby facilitated the diplomatic push for the so-called “no fly zone” campaign against Gaddafi in Libya.  Now, the Arab League and others around the world, appear “shocked” to discover that the push for a “no-fly zone” was just a “bait-and-switch” operation — a cover for imperialist intervention, to control the people’s revolt, and to seize oil fields.  “NFZ” thus joins “humanitarian imperialism” as another tarnished tool of mass deception.  Enemies of the people (like Gaddafi) must be dealt with by the people themselves — not by other enemies of the people (like the various imperialist powers). — Frontlines ed.]

By Edward Cody, Sunday, March 20, 1:01 PM

CAIRO—The Arab League secretary general, Amr Moussa, deplored the broad scope of the U.S.-European bombing campaign in Libya on Sunday and said he would call a new league meeting to reconsider Arab approval of the Western military intervention.

Moussa said the Arab League’s approval of a no-fly zone on March 12 was based on a desire to prevent Moammar Gaddafi’s air force from attacking civilians and was not designed to embrace the intense bombing and missile attacks—including on Tripoli, the capital, and on Libyan ground forces—that have filled Arab television screens for the last two days.

“What is happening in Libya differs from the aim of imposing a no-fly zone,” he said in a statement on the official Middle East News Agency. “And what we want is the protection of civilians and not the shelling of more civilians.” Continue reading

Arab League demands justice after leaked war files reveal crimes against Iraqi people

ABC/AFP, Oct 30, 2010

The Arab League has called for those behind the “crimes against humanity” contained in leaked Iraq war documents published by the whistleblowing website WikiLeaks to be brought to justice. “These documents and what they have unveiled… constitute a crime equivalent to crimes against humanity and violations against the Iraqi people,” said Ahmed ben Helli, the Cairo-based organisation’s deputy secretary general.

“We must pursue those who committed this crime,” in cooperation with the Iraqi government, he said, quoted by Egypt’s official news agency MENA. Mr Ben Helli called for more documents to be released.

WikiLeaks last week published nearly 400,000 secret US military documents which offer a grim snapshot of the conflict from 2004 to 2009, especially of the abuse of civilians by Iraqi security forces. The heavily abridged logs appear to show that the US military turned a blind eye to evidence of torture and abuse of civilians by the Iraqi authorities.

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange said the documents reveal about 15,000 more civilian deaths in Iraq than were previously known.