Philippines: Rebels warn MILF: “Don’t give up your weapons”

[see the news article, followed by the statement from the National Democratic Front of the Philippines — Mindanao. — Frontlines ed.]

——————————————————————————–

by Germelina Lacorte, Philippine Daily Inquirer Mindanao

 Tuesday, October 30th, 2012

[JORGE MADLOS, spokesperson of the National Democratic Front in Mindanao, in this photo taken December 2003 in his then hideout somewhere in Surigao del Sur AFP]

DAVAO CITY—Two weeks ago,  amid calls for the Communist Party of the Philippines-New People’s Army to return to the negotiating table with the government, Left leader Satur Ocampo had urged President Aquino to “uphold his vow to resume peace talks”  with the insurgent group, just like he did with the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF).

But over the weekend, the communist National Democratic Front of the Philippines (NDFP) warned the Moro group against the government’s  “devious scheming” with regard to the framework agreement it signed early this month.

In a statement e-mailed to the Philippine Daily Inquirer, Jorge Madlos, NDFP spokesperson in Mindanao, warned the MILF against readily giving up its arms, and said that agreeing to decommission its Bangsamoro Islamic Armed Forces (BIAF) would render the group useless in protecting the rights of the Moro people.

“Learning lessons from the    past, the MILF should not easily relinquish its effective military strength on the whim of the reactionary government so that it can continue to defend the interests of the entire Moro people,” said Madlos, also known as Ka Oris. Continue reading

Philippines: Government and National Democratic Front agree to reopen peace talks in February, set 16 day cease fire

Straits Times, December 3, 2010

Philippines, Maoists to resume talks

MANILA – The Philippines and Maoist rebels have agreed to resume peace talks early next year, officials said on Friday, the first breakthrough in tackling either of two long-running insurgencies since the new government came to office this year.

After two days of informal talks in Hong Kong on Wednesday and Thursday, the government and the National Democratic Front (NDF) also agreed on a 19-day Christmas ceasefire starting December 16, which if it holds would be the longest in 10 years.

Right: Relatives and friends hold photos of loved ones among the 43 men and women arrested earlier in the year as suspected communist rebels during a rally in front of the Department of Justice in Manila.

There have been on-off talks since 1986 to end an insurgency that began in the 1960s and has killed 20,000 people and scared off potential investors in resource-rich rural communities.

Alexander Padilla, the government’s chief peace negotiator, told reporters the two sides would have another informal meeting next month ahead of the resumption of formal talks in Oslo, Norway in February. ‘This would again be the first of such talks after having been suspended last August 2005,’ he said, adding the government is committed to a ‘just and honourable settlement of conflicts’.

In a statement, NDF chief negotiator Luis Jalandoni reiterated the Maoists’ call for the release of 43 health workers detained on suspicion of being rebels and three rebel leaders who it says are part of the negotiations.

 

National Democratic Front of the Philippines-Mindanao: Remove all impediments to a just peace!

An impediment to a just peace: The Philippine government has armed warlords to protect foreign monopoly businesses and the ruling class, as well as to suppress the people's opposition. These warlords have been pampered by the government to such an extent that they kill with impunity, as did the Ampatuan warlords in the brutal massacre of 58 civilians, including lawyers and journalists, on 23 November 2009 in Mindanao (above).

From http://www.philippinerevolution.net

Jorge “Ka Oris” Madlos, Spokesperson, National Democratic Front of the Philippines-Mindanao

November 28, 2010

“This vicious systemic exploitation and oppression, which has compelled the Filipino people to rise in revolution, is the root of un-peace. Therefore, true sovereignty from imperialist domination and the attainment of social justice are pre-requisites for a just and lasting peace for the whole country.”

The NDFP-Mindanao is one with all peace advocates and peace-loving Filipino people in the pursuit of a just and lasting peace. We are aware of the call for peace of advocates through the Mindanao Week of Peace. It is, however, imperative to thoroughly understand the nature and context of the social conflict that breed un-peace.

Almost four centuries of Spanish rule and six decades of US tutelage fettered the Philippines to feudal and semi-feudal exploitation. Filipino peasants have been deprived of land; workers, reduced to cheap labour force; and our natural resources and environment, plundered and ravaged. The country became a dumping market for overpriced goods, and a forward base for imperialist hegemony in the Asia-Pacific.

Since the bogus independence of 1946, puppet governments were beholden to US imperialist economic and political interests. Particularly in Mindanao, the Moro warlord ruling elite connived with US imperialists to grab and turn their ancestral lands into export crop production at the expense of both the Moro and non-Moro peasants. Continue reading

Philippine government negotiator and Luis Jalandoni of the NDF meet in Hong Kong to reopen peace talks

BBC News Asia-Pacific, 2 December 2010

Peace talks have been suspended since 2004

Representatives of the Philippines government and of the country’s Communist Party are meeting in Hong Kong to find a way to reopen peace talks.

The government’s chief negotiator Alexander Padilla is meeting with Luis Jalandoni of the National Democratic Front, or NDF. The NDF is an umbrella group of leftist organisations including the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP). The party, founded in 1968, still poses a threat in parts of the country.

Some of its former leaders hold seats in the Senate and Congress while others, such as Mr Jalandoni, face arrest warrants in the Philippines.

The talks are being held in Hong Kong to assuage his fears of arrest if he returned to the Philippines. He lives in exile in the Netherlands as does the head of the CPP, Jose Maria Sison.

Philippine President Benigno Aquino set up a panel in October to seek a way to re-open peace talks. “It’s the very first step to lay the good foundation for the talk. They (government negotiators) know that they have my entire support behind them. So I would not pressure them to coming up with results just for a good soundbite. We really want to achieve the lasting solutions towards this longest-running insurgency,” he said. Continue reading

Philippines: US corporations gobbling up farmers’ land in Mindanao

Banana farming in Mindanao

http://www.allvoices.com

Gerry Albert Corpuz

MANILA-The island wide leadership of the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP)-led National Democratic Front of the Philippines (NDFP) in Mindanao assailed American corporations engaged in agribusiness and production of export crops of gobbling up agricultural lands in the second largest island in the country at the expense of Filipino land tillers.

In a press statement sent to various foreign and local media based in Manila, a copy of which was also sent to www,allvoices.com, NDFP-Mindanao spokesperson Jorge Madlos said Philippine President Benigno Simeon Aquino III has opened the island’s vast expanse of land for agribusiness, plantations, destructive logging and large-scalee mining operations that led to perpetual and intensifying land grabbing across the island.

Madlos said the unbridled land grabbing by US and other foreign companies resulted in the displacement of countless peasants and peasant-workers. “It is no surprise that the US imperialist anointed Aquino as the president in a pre-programmed automated election,” the NDFP-Mindanao official said.

In Southern Mindanao, Madlos revealed capitalist plantations owned by AJMR Sumitumo and Dole, two of the largest in agri-business, are currently expanding operations, rapidly gobbling up land, in collusion with local big landlords Floriendo, Soriano, Dizon, etc., to the very detriment of thousands of peasants. Continue reading

Peace talks in the Philippines slated to begin soon

Below are 3 articles from the press in the Philippines on plans to start formal peace talks in early 2011 in Norway between the Government of the Republic of the Philippines (GRP) and the National Democratic Front of the Philippines (NDFP), which includes the Communist Party of the Philippines and the New People’s Army.

Interview with Jose Maria Sison on GRP-NDFP Peace Negotiations

Philippine Daily Inquirer, October 25, 2010

1. How do you see Alex Padilla and his team? Are they acceptable to the NDFP panel?

JMS: PNoy [President Benigno Aquino] has made an excellent choice of Alex Padilla as the chair of the GRP Negotiating Panel. Alex has an understanding of the Filipino people’s struggle for national independence and democracy. He was a human rights lawyer and was once with Bayan. I also know Pablito Sanidad personally. He is also an excellent choice by PNoy. He is known as a man of integrity, a human rights lawyer, a patriot and progressive. I do not know the three other GRP panelists personally.

PNoy as GRP principal has the prerogative of appointing his own panelists . His panel appears to be so composed as to encourage the belief that there will be serious peace negotiations towards mutually satisfactory agreements. Through NDFP negotiating panel chairperson Luis Jalandoni, the NDFP has already publicly welcomed and accepted the new GRP panel.

2. What should be a good starting point for the renewal of the talks?

JMS: The chairmen of the GRP and NDFP Negotiating Panels should start immediately to communicate with each other. It is possible that by the time you go to press they shall have started to communicate and try to arrange preliminary talks between teams of the panels as soon as possible in Oslo. The preliminary talks are intended to pave the way for the resumption of formal talks in January or February. Continue reading

Philippines: Scrap the 1944 Leyte landing commemoration for fostering the historical lie of “liberation” by the US

US imperialism reconquers the Philippines in 1944

October 20, 2010

The National Democratic Front-Eastern Visayas today said the October 20 yearly commemoration of the landing of US troops in Leyte in 1944 should be ended. “No nation can be genuinely sovereign when it accepts the myth of liberation by another nation,” said NDF-EV spokesperson Fr. Santiago Salas. “The Leyte Landing commemoration celebrates the invasion and reoccupation of the Philippines by US imperialist troops from Japanese imperialist troops. This is not liberation at all but the imposition of a foreign power on the sovereign will of the people. Since 1944, the US has cultivated such colonial mentality supporting its continuing interests and interference in the Philippines.”

Fr. Salas added Eastern Visayas remains one of the poorest regions in the country because of unequal relations between the Philippines and the US. “While posturing as liberator and friend, the US in reality dominates the Philippines in the economy, politics, culture and military. The Philippine economy is tied to imperialist globalization, through whose policies the US and other rich countries extract superprofits from neocolonies that are kept underdeveloped, backward-agricultural and pre-industrial.

“The Philippine government is a servant to US patronage and foreign policy. Culture in the Philippines is also heavily influenced by the US that keeps it colonial, feudal and anti-people. The Philippine military meanwhile relies not only on weapons from the US, but also on indoctrination such as the US Counterinsurgency Guide, and is thus used to suppress the people’s patriotic and democratic aspirations.” Continue reading